About Me

Like most people, I love to eat. I also love to write. So I thought I would combine the two things, and viola, Beth's Best Bites was born. I hope to use this blog to share recipes with you. As well, I will give you information about products and gadgets that will help you in your kitchen.

I hope you enjoy Beth's Best Bites, and I'd love to hear feedback from you.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Savory Black-Eyed Peas

I must admit I used to think that black-eyed peas taste like mud, but then I realized I hadn’t really done anything to season them. I started researching recipes online and let my imagination go wild. I think you’ll see that once you properly season them, black-eyed peas can be delicious! This dish is a hearty dinner, one that works great on a cold winter’s night. Of course, corn bread is the perfect accompaniment to the peas.

Prep time 15 minutes
Cook Time 3 hours
Servings 8

Ingredients

1 pound dry black-eyed peas (sorted and soaked overnight)
Water
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups chopped ham
2 onions, chopped
2 cans Rotel tomatoes (you choose the heat level)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Place black-eyed peas in large pot. Barely cover with water. Stir in ham, onions, garlic, and Rotel tomatoes. Then add salt and pepper to taste. Bring beans to a boil. Cover beans, and simmer on medium-low heat for 2 ½ to 3 hours, or until peas are tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment